In September of 2018, NorthWestern Energy filed a general electric rate case with the Montana Public Service Commission. A rate case proceeding is how utilities update their rates and charges for all of their customers [learn more about setting rates here]. In it's proposal for new rates, NorthWestern Energy proposed significant and drastic changes to how net metering customers will be treated that could devastate rooftop solar and the solar industry. MREA has intervened in the docket in order to protect Montana's net metering policies. The five Public Service Commissioners may end up deciding solar's future in Montana, and we will be working to ensure solar still has a bright future under the Big Sky.
We put together a document that explains the proposal and its potential impacts on current and future net metering customers and the solar industry.
>> READ THE FAQ <<
MREA needs the resources to ensure we can do this work successfully. Engaging in a docket at the Public Service Commission is an expensive task. Intervening in dockets is not a typical activity for MREA, but this rate case could have profound impacts on whether or not Montanans can produce their own energy and it will have profound impacts on the solar industry in Montana. We have almost reached our fundraising goal, but we need your help to cross the finish line.
>> HELP DEFEND NET METERING <<
In the news
- NW Energy rate-change could devastate rooftop solar installation in MT (MTN News, March 14)
- Solar advocates balk at NorthWestern Energy's plan to create charge (Billings Gazette, February 26)
- Missoula residents blast NorthWestern Energy’s requested rooftop solar rate hike (Missoula Current, May 9)
- Solar customers angered by NorthWestern rate increase (Billings Gazette, May 9)
- Consumers blast NW Energy’s proposed rate change for rooftop solar systems (KTVH, May 23)
- Rooftop Solar Customers Could See Higher Rates Under NorthWestern Plan (MTPR, May 23)
- PSC ruling on NorthWestern rates a few months off (Billings Gazette, June 4)
>> Learn how net metering works